Thursday, August 25, 2011

People are idiots...

Sorry for the warm fuzzy title to start this post... but I am really frustrated at the ignorance of people.  First off, Roman is a thriving 7 week old who LOVES to eat :)  He is my big bundle of love!  He hasn't been weighed recently but I'm certain he's about 14 pounds or more. I am approximately 5'4" and 106 pounds... I've always been thin, I can eat whatever I want and still stay skinny, not sure why but I eat all the time!  And I LOVE junk food!!  Have I set the scene for you?  A BIG baby and little tiny momma?  People stop me ALL the time and ask how in the world I managed to have/push out/produce a big boy.  I've even had people ask if I had an epidural... perfect strangers asking about labor and personal, very personal questions.  I've had 2 woman touch my belly and say how they can't imagine me "having" him.  Ugh!!!  My response is usually a smile and I politely say, "I adopted him."  What I should do is say... "I know, right, I look fabulous after "having" him!"  After all, it's none of these perfect strangers business how I would have pushed out a large, healthy baby out of my ______!  Come on people!  But today... out in public, it happend again... women saying under their breathe but loud enough for me to hear, "I wish I looked like that after having my baby."  I announce every time that I adopted Roman when I hear such comments but really what bothers me is their response after I say that.  It's "Ohhh...hmmm" followed by silence and a turn away or a half smile. That BOTHERS ME... the fact that they then act is if I've got some contagious disease and HAD to adopt.  The truth is, I don't have a disease, in fact, I'm perfectly healthy.  Not to push this off on my husband but his "system" is the reason for our infertility issues... but, aside from that... GOD CHOSE ME AS ROMAN'S MOMMY, HE CHOSE MY HUSBAND AS HIS DADDY, HE CHOSE US TO LOVE, NURTURE, PROTECT, RAISE AND HAVE THIS PERFECT MIRACLE.  It was obedience, obedience to the call of adoption.  I wonder how many "idiots" would have anything to say if I responded with that type of an answer??  It's called Christianity, it's called the Will of God and a love for my Jesus that called ME/US into this "type" of parenthood.  If I had it to all over again... I'd do this same process a million and one times.  I love being Roman's mommy, tiny and all :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, sounds like I am not the only one on a soapbox. LOL! Well I bet that they feel really stupid after saying something like that to you and instead of saying sorry they cop out and walk away. You will get used to the momma's touching and commenting. It is part of the joy of being a momma. Just remember God gave you that gift to share it with the world. Since we waited so long for Joslyn I felt the same way, but then I was reminded that God still wants me to be an example and a witness for Him, and a baby is a perfect opening for that witness. Especially a beautiful baby such as Roman. What a wonderful story you get to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you are being met with so many insensitive comments. They would be ridiculous whether he was biological or whether he is adopted. I don't know why people feel like they can be so invasive into someone's life.

    As a Mama to a child I did not birth, I can tell you, the comments never stop. I want to always have clever remarks, but at times, I'm so stunned by the complete rudeness to the questions that I can't reply at all.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.